Housing in Israel:
Housing in Israel is as diverse as the country itself. The majority of the population of Israel lives in the center of the country, otherwise known is Hebrew as the "Merkaz". Israeli University students seeking affordable housing usually opt to either share apartments with roommates near campus or to live in on-campus dormitories. Israel boasts of excellent public transportation and most institutions of higher learning are within easy access to the major cities.
- If you are going to be at Bar Ilan University, you can live in Givat Shmuel, near the campus, or live in the close cities: Ramat Gan, Givatayim or Petach Tikva.
- If you are going to be at Ben Gurion University, it is recommended to live in Be’er Sheva.
- If you are going to be at the Hebrew University, it is recommended to live in Jerusalem and to check that there is convenient public transport from your neighborhood. If you plan to have a car, be aware of the parking and traffic issues in Jerusalem and decide if it's worth it.
- If you are going to be at the Technion or Haifa University, it is recommended to live in Haifa.
- If you are going to be at Tel Aviv University, you can live in Tel Aviv or in close cities (such as Ramat Gan and Givatayim, which are cheaper cities for renting). If you will live in TLV, it is recommended to check that there is convenient public transport from your neighborhood. If you plan to have a car, be aware of the parking and traffic issues in Tel Aviv and decide if it's worth it.
- If you are going to be at the Weizmann Institute, it is recommended to live in Rehovot.
Property in the Israeli real estate market is divided into five types of accommodations: cottages, duplexes, flats, penthouses, and villas.
Types of housing
Cottages - Cottages are homes with gardens. They are attached to one or two neighboring cottages.
Duplexes - Duplexes are two- or three-story apartments in a block of other duplexes or flats. You might share walls with neighbors to your right, left, above, and below. Some duplexes have balconies.
Flats - Flats are one-story apartments. Like duplexes, you might be surrounded by neighbors. Some flats may come with balconies. Flats are the most common type of housing in Israel.
Penthouses - Penthouses are at the tops of apartment buildings. They usually consist of an entire floor. This ensures that there are no neighbors above or next to you. Penthouses are the most expensive type of apartment.
Villa - A villa is a free-standing home with a garden. No property or walls are shared with those of neighbors. Many villas have balconies. Villas are the most expensive type of house.
- http://www.janglo.net/: Lists housing for sale or for rent in locations throughout Israel.
- http://www.jr.co.il/hotsites/j-mail.htm: List-serves for English-speaking communities in Israel. Monitor them to see what is being offered, and join if you want to post a request.
- https://www.nestpick.com/tel-aviv/: Tel Aviv apartments
- https://www.nestpick.com/jerusalem/: Jerusalem apartments
- Haifa apartments
- The following are two Hebrew websites that offer comprehensive listings including, but not limited to, homes for sale, apartment rentals and second-hand furnishings for sale: http://homeless.co.il and http://www.yad2.co.il
- . Quality furnished studio apartments for Olim and students. Studios are available in Jerusalem, Tel-Aviv, Herzliya and Modiin. Affordable and all-inclusive, lease agreements in English, 24/7 customer care, ready upon arrival. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 052-782-9010.
- Cheap Apartments in Jerusalem!!!! (English, closed group)
- Looking for an Apartment in Jerusalem (English, public group)
- Apartments/roommates in Jerusalem (English, closed group)
- Secret Jerusalem (English, public group)
- Apartments/Roommates Haifa (English, closed group)
- Haifa Apartments (English, closed group)
- Looking for apartments in Tel Aviv (English, public group)
- Apartments/roommates in Tel Aviv (English, closed group)
- Moishe House Tel-Aviv (English, public group)
- Be'er Sheva Apartments/Roommates/Sublets (English, closed group)
- דירות מפה לאוזן רחובות (Rehovot)- (Mostly Hebrew, public group)
- Young Rehovot (English, public group) Apartments and other items of interest in Rehovot
- Apartments and Second-Hand, Weizmann students (English, private group)
- דירות בגבעת שמואל Givat Shmuel Apartments (Bar Ilan University)- (English & Hebrew, public group)