OFFER DEADLINE22/06/2020 17:00 - Europe/Brussels
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
LOCATIONSpain, Cerdanyola del Valles - Barcelona
ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat Autònoma de Barcelona
DEPARTMENTResearch Management/Strategic Projects
INMIX-UAB Call 2020:
MARIE SKŁODOWSKA-CURIE INDIVIDUAL FELLOWSHIPS (MSCA-IF)
Department / Institute / Centre:
- Name: Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), Research Group on Immigration, Mixedness and Social Cohesion (INMIX)
- Address: UAB, Dept. d’Antropologia social i cultural, Carrer de la Fortuna s/n, Barcelona 08193
- Research Area: Social Sciences and Humanities (SOC)
- Website INMIX: http://grupsderecerca.uab.cat/inmix/en
- Website INMIX Lab: https://www.researchgate.net/lab/INMIX-Lab-Dan-Rodriguez-Garcia
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brief Description of the Institution:
Founded in 1968, the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) has already consolidated itself amongst the 200 best universities in the world, as shown in the primary university rankings (QS, THE, ARWU), and is ranked within the top 10 new universities with greatest international projection and prestige. Further, in 2009, the UAB was accredited as an International Excellence Campus (CEI), an important recognition for its efforts in promoting quality in teaching, in attracting international talent and in having a growing impact on research. The UAB has a privileged setting, with a magnificent campus in a residential area, only 20 minutes from the centre of Barcelona. The university, with a 34,000 student population (50% foreign), offers a great variety of services, including a residential area with apartments, stores and restaurants. The UAB has a very active cultural agenda, with continual activities available to its student community, and offers a wide range of possibilities for interaction with local and international students.
Brief Description of the Centre/Research Group:
The Research Group on Immigration, Mixedness and Social Cohesion (INMIX) will support two applications for Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships (MSCA-IF-2020) within the field of migration, diversity and mixed race studies.
The INMIX-UAB is a consolidated multidisciplinary research group, with experienced researchers with training in different disciplines in the social sciences (such as social and cultural anthropology, geography, sociology and demography), dedicated to the study of international migration, interethnic relations, and processes of the sociocultural integration of immigrants and their descendants. The research group has a particular interest in the processes of “mixedness,” that is, in looking at mixed (binational, bicultural, transnational) couples/families/descendants and exploring social attitudes, life experiences, processes of cultural hybridism, multiple identities, sociocultural capital, racialization and experiences of discrimination concerning these groups or individuals. INMIX combines quantitative and qualitative methodologies, using a strong ethnographic approach and a maintaining a constant commitment to knowledge transfer. The group has an ongoing interest in conducting international comparisons and in collaborating with researchers from other countries. We are interested in producing and disseminating a body of policy- and practice-relevant research that helps to bridge the research/policy divide, and, to do so, we partake in conferences, debates, media releases and different activities involving the civic and governmental spheres. The group offers a fully equipped office (the INMIX Lab).
INMIX-UAB is looking to host two Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellows who are applying to the current 2020 open call within the field of migration, diversity and mixed-race studies. Candidates with a PhD in the Social Sciences who have a strong research profile in the following area will be prioritized:
- Intermarriage, mixed families (across national, ethno-racial, or religious boundaries), multiracialism, mixed-race studies, mixedness, with related sub-fields such as:
- Sociodemographic patterns of intermarriage
- Social attitudes towards and political discourses about mixing
- Transnational families, daily life, customs, everyday construction of cultural hybridity
- Inter-generational transmission of multicultural backgrounds and the negotiation of values and norms
- Human, cultural and social capital (including personal and social networks)
- Socialization, socializing and leisure activities
- Identity and sense of belonging; identity mismatch, racialization and experiences of discrimination
- Racialization and colour-blindness among ethnoracially mixed couples/individuals
- Mixedness across variables other than race and ethnicity (i.e., gender, sexual orientation, age, class, micro-locations)
- LGBTQ+ ethnoracially mixed families/people
- Mixedness and new communication technologies
- New conceptualizations of intermarriage and multiracialism
Applicants are expected to perform high-quality research and to produce/collaborate on academic papers that are suitable for being published in leading academic journals. Candidates are also expected to have good problem-solving, troubleshooting and analytical skills; to be proficient in English; to have good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills; and to be able to work well independently as well as in a group. If selected, candidates are also expected to participate in research activities initiated or promoted by INMIX-UAB, such as seminars, workshops, conferences and publications.
Candidates must meet the eligibility criteria of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie call:
Interested candidates are asked to submit:
1) An outline of the proposed research project (max. 2 pages)
2) A copy of the most recent CV, containing names and contacts of at least two references
3) A letter of interest explaining the candidate’s motivation to be hosted by INMIX-UAB
Please submit these documents to email@example.com by no later than June 22, 2020. Please indicate “INMIX-UAB Call: MARIE SKŁODOWSKA-CURIE INDIVIDUAL FELLOWSHIPS 2020” in the subject line of the email.
Proposals will be pre-selected on the basis of an internal evaluation. Candidates will be informed of the results of the pre-selection process by June 26, 2020. Selected candidates are expected to prepare their full applications, to be submitted to the European Commission services, by September 9, 2020 (check the official MSCA-IF website for more information).
The responsibility for the hosting offers published on this website, including the hosting description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.